In the past year we have redeveloped our package to work on Python 2.7, 3.3 and 3.4. We publicly released the open source code as version 3.0 on 14 February 2014, and have been quietly testing the commercial package which sits on top of it. Release 3.1.x covers both the Open Source and Commercial packages.
Changes to commercial package since 2.x series
Our main focus is to make our commercial package extremely easy to try out. We hope that many open source users will give it a go, and see how easy it is to develop rich document workflows quickly using Report Markup Language.
- Everything runs under Python 2.7, 3.3 and 3.4.
- Follows modern Python standards, including one-line installation using pip or easy_install. Please see the installation instructions.
- a functioning rml2pdf command to let you try converting files immediately.
- A private repository integrated with the web site - use your web site login to download packages.
- A freely available repository of example files and solutions.
We believe we have preserved compatibility at the application level - all reasonable RML files should convert as before and existing clients should be safe to upgrade.
Changes to open source code since 3.0
If you are running ReportLab 3.0.x, the changes are minor. If you are running reportlab 2.x, please see the previous release notice
- support for emoji - characters outside the Unicode basic multilingual plane
- improved pip-based installers will pull in all the needed dependencies. Pillow 2.4 appears to deal with all our issues.
Note on version numbers
We follow Python's scheme with 3-point release numbers signifying major-minor-patch. Generally, new features will result in an announced minor release such as "3.1" or "3.2". In the last two months our focus has been on how well the packages install, so we went through a number of releases (3.1.1 up to 3.1.8) quietly with feedback from external clients. We will notify all registered users on the web site of significant releases.